The Woes of Managing Wrestling

Photo courtesy of Ross Mortensen

Varsity wrestler Mpilo Norris ’18 faces a Hotchkiss opponent.

Choate Boys’ Wrestling has a very interesting dynamic this year, which I’ve become privy to through my role as manager.  With two team captains and a mix of athletes from each grade, the wrestling team is anything but boring. Sam Madden ’17 said, “I’m not really sure if the freshmen know what’s going on half the time.  Whenever I see Cam (Polemeni-Hegarty ’20), he’s just lying on the floor. Other times, I look over to where Kyn (Toh ’20) is supposed to be wrestling, but instead he’s practicing his disappearing thumb magic trick.”

The team has faced a major battle this year: continuing the tradition of Country Music Friday. North Peters ’19, who owns the speaker system used at practice, also harbors an intense hatred for country music. As a result, our beloved tradition has been flushed out. But on the occasional Country Friday that North allows, one can observe Colin Myles ’17 truly enjoying himself, which is a real sight.

Choate Wrestling is a very focused program, as you can see.  And, good news for anyone 106 pounds or under, you can still join the team! A spot in your weight class is open, and we have an extra singlet just for you.

Something I bet you did not know is that Choate now has its own sauna on campus, and it is open to students!  If you have yet to visit “the dungeon,” AKA the wrestling room,  you are truly missing out. It is by far the sweatiest room on campus.  By simply sitting in the wrestling room (as I do for two hours every school day) you’ll break out in a sweat that burns your eyes. If you’re lucky, you’ll even get ringworm!  What could be better than that? 

Fortunately, ringworm hasn’t been a big issue this year because of the team’s amazing managers and floor moppers: Jamie Hemstock ’17, Sofia Esquibies ’17, and me (Sarah Gurevitch ’19).  If you’re not sure who we are, we’re  the only girls on campus who sport Choate Wrestling hats. Our wrestlers mean the world to us.

The team’s practices are certainly a can’t-miss event.  Who wouldn’t want to experience the heat and sweat of intense competition in an environment sans ventilation?

But, honestly, wrestling is an aggressive and tough sport, deserving a lot of respect.  It instills core values in its players, such as Tommy Wachtell ’19 demonstrates. Wachtell has gained a whole new appreciation for water because of his experience on the team.  He elaborated, “Wrestling has caused me to value water breaks more than life itself.”

So spread the word that Choate has a sauna – I mean wrestling room – grab your towel, and head on down.  Most importantly, though, follow Choate Wrestling’s official instagram, @choate.wrestling, run by the team’s passionate and devoted managers.