School Creates Special Schedule for Presidential Inauguration Viewing

For the Inauguration of President Donald Trump P’00 today, H block and conference period have been eliminated from the class schedule, and an almost two-hour midday break from classes has been added. The altered schedule is meant to allow students time to view screenings of the event and participate in related discussions. Counselors will be available throughout for support, while the dining hall is to remain a politics-free space for those who don’t wish to take part.

According to Dean of Faculty Ms. Katie Levesque, the schedule was similarly changed for Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration. Due to students’ age, this year’s election has been the first for many in which they’ve felt truly involved and aware. Weston Miller ’17 said, “I’ve grown up in the U.S. but have only really been through one administration change that I can remember, and that was going from Bush to Obama. I didn’t get to watch Obama’s Inauguration in 2009, so I’m excited that I’m going to have the opportunity to watch one now.”

Several students plan to attend the screenings. Betsy Overstrum ’20 explained, “Events like this can create valuable discussions and help students have an environment where they can express their opinions. I will watch the inauguration, because I feel that it is the start of a new beginning, and I want to know what’s going on. Whether or not I support Trump, I want to hear his ideas for the country. I don’t want to be oblivious.”

Aurélie Temsamani ’20 added, “I plan to watch the Inauguration. It should be very interesting, and I feel that I should be informed and listen to what Trump has to say about the upcoming four years.”

However,  Gina Driscoll ’20 said, “I respect those who feel affected by the election and try to see from their perspective, but I do not think the schedule change will be valuable to me since I am not partial to politics and would honestly rather be learning. I do not plan on watching the Inauguration. As interesting as it seems, there are better ways I can utilize my free time.”

The decision to have counselors during this time received mix reviews. Jack Miley ’20 stated, “I do not know how these counselors could benefit anyone in the community, nor do I believe they are necessary or even constructive.” Overstrum explained, “For people who have strong opinions, it’s good that they can have a mature adult to talk to, but I don’t think their presence is that necessary.” However, Temsamani said, “I like that they provide an option to talk about this event. It’s always helpful to talk to somebody if you need to get some emotions out.” Josephine Mah ’18 commented, “I feel as though the counselors were considered more useful during the election than now, but if some students are still in need of someone to talk to, I can understand that.”

Ollie Chessen ’19 hopes the day will be one “where people come together, rather than be divisive. I hope the community can achieve that through the plans set out for the day.” Mehreen Pasha ’18 concluded, “It’s really important that we’re taking time out of our day as a school to observe this national event, and I like how there are certain spaces on campus where students are able to watch it or discuss it or even not engage in it at all, so it’s being really inclusive for the entire community.”