More Questions Than Answers in School’s Abrupt Removal of Memorial House Adirondack Chairs

Photo by Michael Li/ The Choate News

Students sit on the Memorial House steps after the chairs, key social components, disappeared.

There has been much speculation regarding why the Adirondack chairs that used to sit at the top of the Memorial House steps were gone at the beginning of the school year.

Head of House Mr. Yaser Robles explained, “During the first month or so of the term they were here and then they disappeared,” adding that, “They were removed about a month ago. I know there were some efforts to bring them back and then they were removed again.”

Memorial House dorm advisers were unsure of the exact reason for the removal of the chairs. Mr. James Yanelli remarked, “Some believed that the environment was perceived as hostile or at least aggressive to the people that were walking by. They were under the impression, given the architecture of the building, that the people sitting in the chairs were sort of lording over the steps and the adjacent road way. The people walking by were left an uncomfortable feeling like they were being judged or stared at or monitored in some strange way.” He added, “Last year was the only year, to the best of my knowledge, that there had been a problem with the chairs, but to tell you the truth, I’m not sure that was a problem related to the chairs as much as it was to the steps.”

Mr. Robles said, “I don’t know exactly the details. If the chairs were removed, I’m sure they were removed for a reason that would be along the lines of creating some type of an environment in the school.”

Mr. Charlie Fuentes was uncertain if an event catalyzed the change. He commented, “I would certainly hope that’s not the case, because the Mem steps are a very important social part of being a Choate student, particularly for a four year Choate student.” He continued, “I don’t think that would have been the case. I think there would be others ways to figure that out, as opposed to just taking away the chairs. I would think if that was the case, this would be discussed and the new class would have the ability to prove themselves.”

There have been various reactions to the disappearance of these chairs. “The chairs and the steps allowed me to talk to people that I usually wouldn’t approach. It provided a good chance to hang out with my housemates.” Wesley Fang ’19, a former resident of Memorial House, said.

According to Mr. Robles, “The students are asking for them back because they were here initially, and the steps were a common place for kids to hang out. I don’t think it’s just the kids at Mem, either — you also have the girls from the neighboring dorms all hanging out here.” He also added that, “To me, the chairs were a part of the identity of Memorial House.”

Mr. Yanelli commented, “I don’t have a strong feeling about it, but I do think it’s reasonable to want to have the environment be comfortable for all people. I hope for girls to be able to come and sit on Mem steps, whether there are chairs there or not, as much as I would like to have them in the common room. The furniture shouldn’t be a driver of the behavior. The behavior should be good and open and appropriate at all times anyways, whether there are chairs there or not. The boy and girls should be expected to get along and behave well and be appropriate.”

The chairs had a long history at Memorial House. According to Mr. Yanelli, the former Head of House, “They were brought to campus when benches and chairs were being sprinkled around campus.” He added, “They have been there for a good long time. They were here when I moved into the dorm about a dozen years ago. I don’t recall them not being here until now.”