Off the Field with Hunter Reynolds

Photo by Charlotte Beebe/ The Choate News

Hunter Reynolds cradles the ball as he dodges a defender.

A post-graduate from South Orange, New Jersey, talented athlete Hunter Reynolds ’17 plays a key role on Choate’s Varsity Football team. The wide receiver, cornerback, and kick returner is doing wonders on a squad already loaded with talent, but there is more to Reynolds than who he is on the field.

Daniel Brockett ’19: How have you been adjusting to the academic, athletic, and social aspects of Choate?

Hunter Reynolds ’17: I had to learn to manage time better and live without my parents to help me out. Athletically, it wasn’t too hard. It’s like a brotherhood, and the team is awesome.

DB: Who are your role models?

HR: My parents. They are very hard-working and have always supported me. They keep me on a good path and helped me get to where I am today.

DB: Who is your favorite professional athlete?

HR: Odell Beckham. I like the passion he shows for the game, and his swagger.

DB: Do you have a philosophy or life motto?

HR:  Yes, I do. It’s “never give up on your dreams.

DB: If you could meet any person, dead or alive, who would you meet?

HR: Martin Luther King Jr., just to talk about the current state of the world in regards to racial inequality. I would ask him for advice, see what he would do to help fix things.

DB: How does football impact your life?

HR: It’s taught me to never quit. No matter how much adversity you face, you can always persevere. It does not matter how big the challenge is; you cannot back down.

DB: What is your funniest memory from playing high school football?

HR: During my sophomore year, one of our kids got a big hit and was really dinged up. My coach gave him a bottle of water and told him, “Water cures everything.” He said the same thing to a kid on the team who was sick, about a week later.

DB: Do you think football translates into any important life skills?

HR: Sports teach you how to work well with others, how to persevere, and also about responsibility and dedication. You’re working not only for yourself, but for those around you. You learn that you can’t let down those who are counting on you.