New Faculty Profiles

Yasin Ahmed

Yasin Ahmed

Yasin Ahmed

“I’m an advocate for all students, said Mr. Yasin Ahmed, Choate’s new Muslim Chaplain. “I’m available when students have difficulties or need someone to talk to. I want to make sure students feel comfortable, safe, and taken care of while they are here at Choate ”

Mr. Ahmed worked at Entourage Yearbooks for several years before becoming a Muslim Chaplain. He also previously worked as an office assistant at an acupuncture office. “I knew religion made me happy,” he said. He is now currently working as an Islamic Studies educator and mentor at Madina Academy and St. Gabriel Parochial School in Windsor, Conn. He is also a Muslim Chaplain at Trinity College, in Hartford. He is currently working toward his M.A. at Hartford Seminary. He studied finance at Rutgers University.

Mr. Ahmed comes to Choate every Friday to meet students in Spears. He facilitates the needs of the Muslim community and as well as, more simply, anyone else looking for support. Mr. Ahmed said, “My focus is empowering students to be well in their minds, bodies, and souls.” adding, “If we learn how to hear the pain of others and express love, we will not just change the world, but change ourselves in the process.”

Mr. Ahmed described Choate as inspiring and full of potential. “Students are striking in intellect, curiosity, and compassion. I’d love to see what we could do to spread what we have here to the Wallingford community,” he concluded.

-Pinn Chirathivat ’19

Mark Gosztyla

Photo by Michael Li

Photo by Michael Li

Prepare to see over 200 poetry books when you enter the office of new English teacher Mr. Mark Gosztyla. The books, which he has read over the last five years, overflow the shelves.

When asked how he manages to make the time to indulge in so much poetry, Mr. Gosztyla answered, “If you don’t make time to do it, then you probably won’t time have to do it.”

Surprisingly, the poetry enthusiast did not develop a love for writing until the end of his high school career. Mr. Gosztyla recounted inspiring English teachers who fostered his love for writing in college. Mr. Gosztyla earned a B.A. in English at the University of New Hampshire and an MFA in Creative Writing. 

Since then, Mr. Gosztyla has embarked on the journey of sharing his knowledge of and fondness for English to students in the classroom. He worked in the English department at Tufts University for seven years, and he has also worked as a substitute English teacher at Hopkins.

Mr. Gosztyla has also coached cross country and track and field at Yale University. This year, Mr Gosztyla will be coaching these two sports at Choate, along with teaching various English courses. He is living in Delbos House with his wife Amy and his two children, Lillian and Waverly.

He remarked that the most rewarding feeling as a teacher is “seeing young writers find success,” and “having students realize that the struggle is worth it.”

-Huong Pham ’19

Alex Long

Photo by Lambert Perkins

Photo by Lambert Perkins

While the construction of the new St. John Hall may be unsightly to some, its opening next spring could not be more exciting to new Assistant Director of Student Activities, Ms. Alex Long. “I think the new building is going to give us the opportunity to grow and make our clubs and events stronger,” she said.

Ms. Long has her own philosophy regarding student activities. “I think it’s important because this is a home away from home, and you need kids to be comfortable and happy. I think activities give people — whether they’re students, faculty, or staff — the ability to relax and unwind in a setting that isn’t meant to always be so serious.”

Ms. Long was born in Spain and grew up on Choate’s campus; she is the daughter of Spanish teacher Mr. Charlie Long. However, she has long had an inkling that the classroom isn’t the place for her. As an adult, she has preferred managing a kids’ summer camp, organizing recreational activities and, simply, getting to know the kids outside of an academic setting. Her new job seems a perfect fit.

Outside of work, Ms. Long enjoys planning her own themed parties, and she relishes brainstorming activities for her five-year-old son to enjoy. Choate’s student activities are especially meaningful to her because she grew up seeing these events, and she is excited for the opportunity to “come in with new ideas and put a fresh spin on it.”

-Grace Zhang ’20

Gary Lynch

Photo courtesy of Pascale Huntsinger

Photo courtesy of Pascale Huntsinger

“If you had told me six months ago that I would be working here, I would’ve laughed at you. I just think it’s so funny how it all came into place,” exclaimed Mr. Gary Lynch, the new dining hall monitor.

He recounted when he first heard the idea of working at Choate. “My wife, out of the blue, said, ‘Gee, wouldn’t it be nice if you worked at Choate?’ My wife and I have been affiliated with Choate through working for the Adaptive Skate and Adaptive Swim programs for about eight years, but I just kind of just pooh-poohed her suggestion because I didn’t think I had right kind of skillset to work here. Then when I just happened to Google ‘employment,’ I saw the opportunity, and I applied for it immediately,” he said.

Although he is new to his position as dining hall monitor, Mr. Lynch isn’t a stranger to the town of Wallingford. He graduated from Lyman Hall High School in 1971. After graduating from radiology school in 1973, he worked in the radiology field for more than 30 years until he retired in 2008. After his retirement, Mr. Lynch worked as a home health aide for several years, and then as a government-employed worker at state homes.

Though it has only been two weeks since his employment, Mr. Lynch has fully immersed himself into the Choate community. “Good energy, getting to meet different people, listening to interesting conversations…I truly have everything that I could possibly want right here in this dining hall.”

-Haley Chang ’18

Claire Minneman

Photo by Michael Li

Photo by Michael Li

When asked why she wanted to become a college counselor, Ms. Claire Minneman commented, “I wanted to become a college counselor because I had transferred colleges when I was a student in college, and I wanted to help students find the right place for them the first time.” Ms. Minneman is coming to Choate after being a college counselor for two years at Miss Porter’s school. She is currently living in a faculty house with her husband, HPRSS teacher Mr. Jesse Minneman, and they are expecting a baby in December. 

Ms. Minneman was born and raised in Michigan. She earned a B.A. from Boston College, majoring in political science and minoring in philosophy. Afterward, she went on to a EdM from Harvard Graduate School of Education.

She is an avid reader. Currently she is reading, “a series by Ken Follett that chronicles five families in three books that surroundings the early 1900s up until the 1980s. It’s tied around the wars.”

Ms. Minneman recalled the positive impression Choate left upon her. “I had a wonderful time when I was here for my interview and had really great conversations with the different members of the College Counseling office. So I was drawn for the community that I felt when I was here for my interview. In addition, my husband has been on the faculty here for a couple of years, so I’ve come to know parts of the community, and I felt it was very welcoming.”

She added, “So far, everything’s been great. All the things I was really looking forward to I’ve enjoyed a great deal.”

-Aisha Pasha ’20

Stephanie Neul

Photo by Elle Rinaldi

Photo by Elle Rinaldi

New math teacher Ms. Stephanie Neul teaches three sections of Algebra 2 Accelerated. Ms. Neul lives in Walsh house advising senior girls. She is often accompanied by Isaac, her German Shepherd of increasing fame.

A native of Summit, New Jersey, Ms. Neul graduated from St. Paul’s School. Afterwards, she attended Williams College, where she majored in both English and Math.

A rower since high school, Ms. Neul’s attraction to Choate stemmed from the opportunity to coach crew, and she now coaches the novice girls’ team. Ms. Neul had worked initially at Morgan Stanley  in New York before deciding she wanted to teach high school students. She initially discovered Choate by teaching at Choate Summer Programs. In regards to why her experience encouraged her to apply as a full-time teacher, she remarked, “What struck me was how close the teachers were to each other. I had a great time and felt like I really connected with the teachers.”

She also loved the students, stating, “I was really impressed by the class I observed and the students who toured me. I thought everyone seemed to really want to be here working hard, which is what any teacher would want their school to be like.”

Her favorite thing about Choate thus far has been the dining hall. “The dining hall is actually the best thing ever, no matter what anyone says. It’s better than me cooking for myself.”

-Lauren Dorsey ’18

Jenn Pelletier

Photo by Angie Zhao

Photo by Angie Zhao

From excelling on the squash courts to informing students of the latest international news, new HPRSS teacher Ms. Jenn Pelletier is always looking for ways to apply her interest to the lives around her. She is currently living in Pratt with  her partner.

Originally from Toronto, Canada, Ms. Pelletier graduated from Trinity College in 2014, earning degrees in political science and history. She was an avid squash player, becoming a member of the Canadian National Women’s Squash Team. Although Ms. Pelletier always was interested in history, she didn’t consider teaching it until later in her life. “I worked as a professional squash athlete and a coach until I realized I loved working with kids. I wasn’t being challenged intellectually, so I tried the classroom,” she explained. She decided to work at Westover School, an all-girls boarding school in Middlebury, Conn.

As to why Ms. Pelletier came to Choate, she stated, “I was looking for change, and I thought it might be an interesting challenge to come to a school that was co-ed, because I had never taught boys before.” She teaches Contemporary Issues and U.S. History, and in the winter she coaches girls’ varsity squash.

When asked about her hopes for her time at Choate, Ms. Pelletier answered, “I hope I can use all of my interests as a teacher in the classroom, with history, and with squash, as well as hang out in the dorm to improve the Choate community.”

-Kate Spencer ’20

Jessica Pfeil

Photo by Elle RinaldiMathematics has always been an integral part of Dr. Jessica Pfeil’s life, whether she was studying recursive thinking for her Ph.D. or teaching her first class.

Born and raised in Maryland, new math teacher Dr. Pfeil earned a B.S. from Virginia Tech, a M.A. from New York University, and an  MPhil and Ph.D. from Columbia University. Her first teaching job was after college, teaching math to students who were in middle and high school. She described the teaching environment she found there to be challenging, especially because of the number of children dropping out by eleventh grade. After this job, Dr. Pfeil worked at a public school in West Orange, New Jersey. She has also worked in the mathematics department of Sacred Heart University and Fairfield University.

Coming to Choate was an exciting change for Dr. Pfeil. She noticed the warm and unified school community during her tour of the campus. Dr. Pfeil especially paid attention to the rigorous academics, enthusiastic students, and supportive faculty, all of which influenced her decision to come teach at Choate.

She currently lives with her husband, one son, and two daughters in Pratt, above the Health Center. When she isn’t teaching at the Lanphier Center, she enjoys skiing and playing tennis. Dr. Pfeil is also the assistant advisor to The Brief, and is currently deciding what sport she would like to coach in the spring.

-Aisha Pasha ’20

Brooke Rea

Photo courtesy of Choate Rosemary Hall

Photo courtesy of Choate Rosemary Hall

A travel enthusiast, new English teacher Ms. Brooke Rea has arrived at Choate, her latest adventure. She had taught ESL in Prague, then taught writing and literature at schools in New York for over a decade. Ms. Rea kicked off her Choate career with Choate Summer Programs, and since then, she has made a splash both in the classroom and in the pool as a water polo coach.

“I liked the way the faculty talked about their jobs. I wanted the opportunity to have relationships with the students and have an impact on them that would go beyond just the day-to-day classroom material,” Ms. Rea remarked.

Even when Ms. Rea was yong, she loved English. “Reading literature and knowing how to talk about it in the context of the world makes you a more intelligent and more aware human being,” she said. That passion never wavered; Ms. Rea went on to earn a B.A. in English Literature at Bucknell University, a M.A. in English Education at Columbia University, and a MFA in Creative Writing at Sarah Lawrence College. Ms. Rea is also currently writing a novel.

In the future, Ms. Rea sees herself continuing teaching and writing, each inspiring and motivating the other. She commented, “The empathy and understanding of other people that I’ve gained from teaching is something that I don’t believe you can find in any other profession. Teaching feeds my writing, in a way, as well. So I don’t see one without the other.”

-Grace Zhang ’20

Stephen Sipherstein

Photo courtesy of Helena Yang

Photo courtesy of Helena Yang

“In Oregon, I raised chickens. I really like gardening. I’ve worked in outdoor education. I like to bike, ski, fly-fish, all kinds of outdoor activities. I play guitar,” said Mr. Stephen Siperstein, a new English teacher, while listing some fun facts about himself.

Hailing from Boston, Dr. Siperstein earned a B.A. in English from Wesleyan, a M.A. in English from Boston College, and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Oregon, where he studied environmental issues and literature.

Describing his decision to come to Choate, Dr. Siperstein said, “I always enjoyed that atmosphere of being able to work with kids in many settings. I think Choate is great because of the number of activities it offers”

While Dr. Siperstein is a teacher in the English department, he is immensely interested in incorporating science into his classes, especially in his English course at the KEC. “One of my specific interests is learning how to teach climate change, which is usually thought of as a scientific issue, through the humanities. I’m really intrigued by how do we teach that in something like an English course, and use literature to think about scientific issues,” he said.

Outside the classroom, Dr. Siperstein is advising The Lit and assisting with the Writing Center. He is living with his wife in a faculty house.He commented on his experience at Choate so far, “It is a really welcoming community and I’ve felt very welcomed.”

-Aidan Marzeotti ’20

Cathryn Stout

Photo courtesy of Charlotte Bebe

Photo courtesy of Charlotte Bebe

Ms. Cathryn Stout may be a new full-time Choate English teacher, but this fall by no means marks her first time at Choate. Previously, she spent the fall and spring at Saint Louis University where she is earning a doctoral degree, and during the summers, Ms. Stout worked at Choate as a teacher in the Writing Program. This year she teaches third form English and American Literature with fifth formers. After classes, she advises Pitman girls.

Ms. Stout grew up in Memphis, Tennessee, where she lived until leaving to pursue a B.A. from Wellesley College in Theater and American Studies and a M.A. from the University of Mississippi in Southern Studies. “Wellesley was the first time I ever lived above the Mason-Dixon Line, as we say,” she said. This experience made her more curious about the American cultural landscape, and inspired her to pursue her doctoral degree. She is set to earn her doctorate in American Studies in 2017.

Ms. Stout worked as a journalist for a daily newspaper for six years, which is why the administration asked her to serve as the assistant adviser to The Choate News. Her experiences in the South have shaped her career. “The South is known for its storytelling, so I grew up telling stories. In American Studies I feel like what I do is tell longer stories from primary sources. It’s been a natural progression from hearing stories, to telling stories, to teaching other people how to tell stories,” said Ms. Stout.

-Anjali Mangla ’20

Heather York

Photo by Elle RinaldiWhat is new biology teacher Dr. Heather York’s claim to fame? She considers it to be a picture she once took of a jackalope that has now been featured in several papers, including the New York Times.

Calling Wisconsin home, Dr. York graduated from the University of Minnesota with a B.S. in Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior, and a B.A. in Spanish. She then pursued her Ph.D. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Kansas. After earning her Ph.D., Dr. York worked at various institutions, including Doane College and Buena Vista University, where she was an assistant professor in biology.

When asked about her reasons for pursuing science, Dr. York explained, “I’ve always loved biology, and ever since I was a little kid, I’ve loved animals.” She has spent time in Latin America studying tropical bats and done work at natural history museums.

After teaching at Buena Vista University and a session of summer school at Hotchkiss, Dr. York came to Choate. She was seeking a school “where the students and the faculty had more opportunities to do innovative learning and traveling.” In addition, Dr. York enjoyed the pace of life at Choate. She is not coaching a sport at the moment, but in the future she hopes to coach intramural volleyball and JV softball. She can be found in Spencer House with her husband, Mr. Schwarz, her daughter, Zoey, and her very friendly border collie mix, Penny.

-Peyton Gaughan ’18