Life as a Varsity Freshman

Photo courtesy of Ross Mortensen

Sam Brown ’20 and Erin Martin ’20 help Girls’ Varsity Soccer win against Greenwich on September 21.

For most high school athletes, making a varsity team is the ultimate goal. It is an incredible accomplishment and a testament to one’s hard work and skill as a player. At Choate, there are a select few who launch themselves right into the action, kicking off their third form fall by joining a varsity-level sport.

Making a varsity team as a freshman does not simply entail a season of glory and celebration; for many, participating in a high level of play can negatively impact one’s social life. Erin Martin ’20 of the Girls’ Varsity Soccer team has experienced her fair share of late-running practices and long games. When asked how  playing varsity soccer affects her social life, she said, “I’ve met other freshmen on the team, and I’ve become very close to them because we have games and practices almost every day. But sometimes we miss out on things that other girls in the dorm are doing.”

For many people, spending so much time on the field is daunting. This is especially applicable to freshmen, who are busy getting accustomed to Choate’s workload. However, for Martin, varsity soccer is a reprieve. She said, “Soccer is my favorite thing in the world. When I am stressed about homework, practice takes me out of that  negative mindset. I think taking little breaks from the heavy workload helps improve my academic performance overall.”   

Joining a varsity team as a freshman is an intimidating experience for many. It can be hard to fit into the team’s dynamic when a majority of the members are upperclassmen and returning players. However, Martin doesn’t seem to have that problem.

She said, “The upperclassmen obviously have more inside jokes with each other, and they’ve been with each other for longer. But honestly, this team is really welcoming. There’s not a big difference between us; they usually include the freshmen in everything.” She added, “I think bonding off the field will improve our game on the field. That will be the key to winning our games this year.” With 3 consecutive victories on their record, the girls of varsity soccer are looking forward to a successful season.

Being a freshman varsity athlete may not always be convenient, but its challenges certainly reap rewards. Hopefully, this year’s wave of freshmen athletes will continue to contribute to Choate’s excellent sportsmanship and exemplary talent.