Hockey Hero Sabrina Huett ’16

hockey

For this week’s postgraduate profile, Joseph Coyne ’19 sat down with Sabrina Huett ’16 to talk about herself, the Choate PG experience, and her past and future with hockey.

JC: When did you start playing hockey and why?

SH: I started playing hockey in fourth grade. Before hockey, I used to swim during the winter, but I decided that I wanted to do something else. Since I knew how to skate and I had grown up going to my older brother’s hockey games, I decided to try hockey.

JC: What is your favorite animal? What is your spirit animal?

SH: My favorite animals are really chubby squirrels. I’d say my spirit animal is a sloth because they eat and sleep a lot, and I enjoy both of those activities. Also, they don’t like being touched, like me. They are also just generally happy animals.

JC: What is life like as a postgraduate at Choate?

SH: It really just feels like a second senior year but at a new school. This is the third high school I have been to and I have liked it the best. I have made some great friends and I really like my advisers and teachers.

JC: Why did you pick Choate as the school you were going to PG at?

SH: I picked Choate because I really liked the level of academics it offerred. I had also heard great things about the girls’ hockey team and Head Coach Nicole Stock. I felt it would be a good fit for me.

JC: Were you committed to a college before you came to Choate? Where are you going to college?

SH: I was not committed to college before I came to Choate, but I committed to Dartmouth this past fall. Having an extra summer for recruiting opportunities was really beneficial.

JC: What has been the best moment of your hockey career, so far?

SH: If I had to pick a best moment, I’d say it was committing to Dartmouth. I live ten minutes away from Dartmouth and grew up dreaming of playing on the women’s team. It felt like all of my hard work had finally paid off, and I couldn’t believe it. My dad, who I have never seen cry before, teared up when it happened.

JC: What about the worst moment of your hockey career?

SH: The worst moment of my hockey career was around the time of my sophomore year, when I realized that if I didn’t start working harder, I would not be able to play college hockey. Although that was a tough realization, I am glad it happened because that’s when I really dedicated myself to getting better.

JC: What has been your favorite moment at Choate, either in or out of the rink?

SH: I don’t have a specific favorite moment. I have just really enjoyed making new friends here and the fun times we have all had together.

JC: What is your favorite part about hockey?

SH: I really enjoy the actual game of hockey, but I’d say one of my favorite parts is getting to hang out with my team.

JC: Where do you hope for hockey to take you?

SH: I hope hockey will continue to open up opportunities for me like it did with Dartmouth. I am not sure if I will play hockey after college, but I know that playing in college will help me to continue to grow as an athlete. It will also help me improve on life skills, like time management, since I will have to balance both a rigorous workload and my intense hockey schedule.