Fall of the Golden Arches

Photo courtesy of Dave Zajac / Record Journal

Owners hope to open a new McDonald’s very soon.

The recent demolition of the McDonald’s on Route 5 at the base of Cedar Lane, a major food run destination for Choaties, has impacted the community greatly. Engineer John Thompson is charged with rebuilding a smaller McDonald’s with no play area.

Before the construction began, the consistent McDonald’s customer Director of the Student Activities Center Mr. James Yanelli recalled, “I have been to McDonald’s every day for a Diet Coke. Just like how some people go to Starbucks or Dunkin’ Donuts for caffeine, I go to McDonald’s.”

He continues, “The taste of McDonald’s Diet Coke is very different than that of Burger King or canned Diet Coke. I like the combination of carbonation, ice, and chemicals. It all just comes together in a beautiful way.”  While Mr. Yanelli will feel the loss of his daily tradition until the new and improved McDonald’s is finished, he will adapt.  “I would like to say I’m going to start drinking water, but I’ll probably find another supply. I will import it from another country if I need to sustain my addiction.”

He continued, “I talked to one of the managers there and he’s excited about the reconstruction because it would mean a more efficient operation. There will be a two-lane drive-thru, which would mean double the drive-thru pleasure. It will mean a better operation in terms of the customer experience. I think the game area that kids used was run down and unappealing. Everything will benefit from being enhanced and rebuilt.”

The famed Mr. Ned Gallagher, while indifferent to the McDonald’s reconstruction, is saddened that he can’t take Memorial House inhabitants on food-runs to McDonald’s as he has previously.

To match the fast food demand, Mr. Gallagher plans to follow in Mr. Yanelli’s food steps and find alternate sources of fast food by “taking them to Chipotle or Chick- Fil-A instead.”

The drawback of the reconstruction affects not only these two individuals, but many others across the campus and Wallingford. Several students have voiced complaints as well.

While the time of the opening of the new McDonalds is unknown, Choate students and Mr. Yanelli will soon, once again,  be “Lovin’ it.”