Eat-About Wallingford: Center Street Luncheonette

Throughout my two years at Choate, I have learned one thing: Wallingford is full of surprises. Making your way down the main drags of the bustling town, you may not find five-star bites to eat, but in a select spot, five-star heart and soul is waiting to be discovered. I’m talking about the Center Street Luncheonette. Not only do they drop a little bit of love into each dish that they serve, but their breakfast food is pretty flippin’ good too (“flippin,’” get it?).

I often make the short trek down Center Street to enjoy breakfast food at its finest. Being a part of a truly pleasant, comfortable atmosphere full of people from Choate, Wallingford, and far beyond contributes to the glorious experience of Luncheonette.

I have lately enjoyed ordering the “Big Man’s Breakfast” (the Mac-daddy of all breakfast creations), which is just as monstrous as the name leads its consumers to believe. True to its humongous size, the dish packs huge flavors. It is made up of a short stack of pancakes, two thick-cut slices of Challah French toast, three eggs, four slices of buttered toast, two slabs of bacon, two sausages, and a hefty pile of spicy home fries.

The pancakes are moist and fluffy, but a touch dense for my liking. Try adding a small dollop of salty butter and a cumbersome amount of syrup for an ideal pancake consistency. The French toast is thick cut, but as you allow your fork to delve into the delicate creation, a soft, spongy steaming center is revealed to its consumer. The eggs are wonderfully seasoned, sunny side up, and a vivid and tender white, while the golden-hued yolk is warm and runny (perfect to dip toast into). Few breakfast joints are able to truly perfect the classic egg, but the Center Street Luncheonette is eggs-cellent. The bacon and sausage are crisp, crunchy, and smothered in grease, adding the right amount of salt for an enjoyable dish. I am not a huge fan of home fries, but those served at the Luncheonette are on the road to changing my mind with their soft, succulent, and tender consistency.

I’m disappointed to report that I was unable to conquer the “Big Man’s Breakfast,” but the Center Street Luncheonette did conquer my heart, and I know it will soon conquer yours.