Twirling Through Choate

jamesYou’ve probably seen Kellisha James ’16 dance during your time at Choate. This is because James, a four-year senior from Brooklyn, New York, is front and center for every performances of Dance Company, Dance Ensemble, Hip Hop club, and Step Squad.

James started dancing when she was only five years old. “My mom sent me out to her friend’s wedding, and I started dancing all over the place,” James explained. “I had tons of energy that I needed to burn, and it was something that I was good at, so she put me into dance lessons.”

James still dedicates her energy to dance. At Choate, she plays an instrumental role in the dance culture: in addition to being a president of the Dance Company, James is also co-captain of Step Squad and a Hip Hop club president. Every Sunday, she spends a total of six hours practicing for these organizations.

“I don’t think she understands how much of a hold she has on dance at this school,” commented Fraynette Familia ’16, another president of the Hip Hop club. “I’ve seen her dedication towards the art grow with every year that I worked with her.”

Alexis Walker ’17, another co-captain of the Step Squad, agreed: “She’s extremely dedicated and committed to the groups that she’s a part of, and she brings her own flavor and dance style to each.”

Undoubtedly, dance has played a huge role in James’ life. Before coming to Choate, James attended Mark Twain Middle School, a performing arts school. There, she danced in monthly performances. “Ever since I went to Mark Twain,” she said, “my life has changed. It’s a fantastic school.” James has also participated in many dance programs in the past summers.

“Dance is my outlet,” she said. “Whenever I’m frustrated or upset, I go to the studio and choreograph for my clubs. It’s lots of fun.”

James is most interested in contemporary dance, hip-hop, and tap. “I haven’t been able to do tap in awhile,” she said. “So I’m excited that there’s going to be a tap piece in the dance show this year.”

Before she graduates in the spring, James plans to make the Hip Hop club more exposed and respected on campus. As for her other clubs, “Dance Company is amazing,” she said, “and Step Squad’s always had it together, so I’m just happy to be a part of that.”

Although she isn’t sure if she will major in dance in college, James knows that it will continue to play a role in her life. “I can’t stop dancing,” she admitted. “It’s definitely going to be part of my future.”

“I want people to know that they shouldn’t be scared to do Choate’s dance programs,” James concluded. “We have fantastic dancers, we’re such a loving bunch. So, people, please do the dance programs!”