A Snapshot of Bernstein ’16

Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 8.29.33 PM

Even if you don’t know Rebecca Bernstein ’16, you’ve probably seen her walking around campus, perhaps with a camera in her hand, or maybe you’ve seen her eye-catching work displayed in the PMAC gallery. After all, Bernstein, a four-year senior from Edwards, Colorado, is an Arts Concentration photographer and an active member of the Choate art community.

Bernstein first became interested in photography in middle school. “A teacher of mine showed a documentary about the Pulitzer prize for photographers,” she said. “I was really inspired by how photos can create history and share different cultures and conditions in parts of the world.” Bernstein has incorporated that inspiration into her own work, aiming to capture stories and share experiences through photography.

“I like going to different places and trying to capture that experience,” she explained. “I’m definitely drawn to photographing people because their stories come across with every photo.”

Mr. Mellon, the primary Arts Con photography instructor, agreed. “Photography is a very powerful storytelling medium. It allows you to express and communicate ideas visually.” He went on, “Rebecca is very skilled and knowledgeable, and I’ve enjoyed watching her improve as a photographer.”

Photography has definitely affected Bernstein’s life. “I think you see differently when you become interested in visual arts,” she said. “For example, when I’m walking around, even without my camera, I’ll see something and think, ‘That’d be a good photo.’ It definitely gives you a different perspective and appreciation for visual part of everyday life.”

Bernstein is a president of Choate’s Photography Club. “She’s been a very good ambassador for the arts because she works hard at it,” said Mr. Mellon. Esther Clayton ’16, a close friend of Bernstein, said, “Rebecca is marvelously on top of her life. Somehow she balances everything and still manages to really put time into her photography.”

When asked about her plans for the future of Photography Club, Bernstein said, “I really want the club to be an inclusive environment. I hope people who have a love for photography will feel comfortable enough to come to meetings and share their work.”

Bernstein is also interested in community service, and, this year, she has used her photography to promote awareness for community service events. “Last year, I went around Wallingford and I took photos of different community groups and service events,” she said. Her work was then displayed in a gallery at Hubcap, a Wallingford community center. Clayton added, “From her numerous photo spreads on her website to the gallery she held in town, she has worked tirelessly, and often with no acknowledgement, on perfecting her craft and using it for the good of the community.”

“I don’t know if I’ll become a professional photographer,” Bernstein said, “but it’ll always be a hobby of mine. It’s something I’ll do my whole life.”