Wallingford’s Latest Shop: The Inside Scoop

icecream

Dining hall ice cream not cutting it? Desiring a flavor other than vanilla or chocolate? Recently opened on Center Street next to Vinny’s Deli, Sweet Cream’s Ice Cream has a wide variety of flavors from Salted Caramel to their most frequently requested flavor, Nutella Chocolate Chip.

The owner, Raul Hernandez, opened his dream ice cream shop this year on August 1, after 19 years of working at corporate ice cream companies. Hernandez is originally from Mexico, but now lives with his wife, Rocio, and daughter, Alyssa, in Meriden, CT. Hernandez’s wife works at the store while he continues his day job until business picks up, but he still plans on pursuing his dream of running his own parlor. 

Sweet Cream’s sells ice cream from Ashley’s Ice Cream, a Connecticut creamery that began in New Haven. Sweet Cream’s offers a lot of flavors I personally don’t see at every shop. My friends and I picked some of the most unusual and interesting flavors they had to offer and tried them out. I got Nutella Chocolate Chip, the flavor that Rocio recommended to me, saying, “It’s a store favorite. A lot of people really like it.” It had a rich Nutella flavor, creamy texture, and chocolate crunch. It quickly became my favorite flavor. Another flavor that caught my eye was Caramel Apple Crumb, so I’ll definitely go back to try it. One of the more unique flavors Sweet Cream’s offers is Tamarind sorbet. For those who don’t know, tamarind is an acidic fruit normally used in Asian cooking. Though the color was slightly off putting, Sarina Sun ’17 described the flavor as “sour, but refreshing,” and thoroughly enjoyed the icy dessert.

Jamie Hemstock ’17 also commented, “I don’t like when my ice cream has freezer burn. I’m a big fan of ice cream that’s creamy and silky smooth. And it was. I give it an 11 out of 10.” Of course, it’s hard to please everyone. After visiting the store, Rachel Hird ’17 added, “Normally, ice creams shops fill the kiddie cups to the top, but mine seemed kind of empty. I also would have liked to add another flavor if I could.” 

Sweet Cream’s is about a 15-minute walk from Choate campus and is very easy to get to. The shop is open from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on the weekends. The seats and tables inside and outside  would be great for having a cool treat on a warm day.

Inside the store, the flavors and prices are written out on a large chalkboard along the wall, and the ice creams are on display below it. The prices start at $2.12 for a kiddie size and can go up to $9.50 for a quart of your favorite ice cream. Toppings like sprinkles, Oreos, and strawberries are also available to customize your ice cream the way you want. The shop also offers ice cream cakes and pies available to order. If someone in your dorm is having a birthday, this is another accessible place where you can order a cake.

The business seems to have hit the ground running, especially for one that opened less than two months ago. Cammi Chester ’17 said, “It’s really great to see something new in Wallingford. I think their business is on the right path and will be successful in the long run.” Overall, I think Sweet Cream’s has a bright future ahead of it. The small shop offers a welcoming environment where kids and adults can go and spend time relaxing and socializing while enjoying a tasty treat.