On the Field with Gabby Dyrek ’16

gabbyEven though she’s been on campus for less than a month, Gabby Dyrek ’16, a post-graduate soccer player from Santa Monica, California, has already enhanced the Choate community. She is known as a hardworking and determined person, and this talent is perhaps best showcased on the soccer field. As captain, she led her last team to the semifinals of the California Southern Section playoffs.

Reporter Arjun Katechia ’19 spoke with Gabriella about her favorite sport, her new school, and more.

Arjun Katechia ’19: How and when did you start playing soccer?

Gabby Dyrek ’16: I started when I was ten, for a youth soccer team. I only started because my parents forced me to.

AK: Why do you like playing soccer?

GD: I love the feeling of scoring a goal and being a part of a team; the team is my best friend and my family. I love the game.

AK: Why did you come to Choate to play soccer?

GD: I came to Choate because the Yale Soccer coach who saw me at a camp in my hometown recommended me to come to develop my game.

AK: How does Choate feel compared to your last school? What’s the longest amount of time you’ve ever spent away from home before this?

GD: I hadn’t spent much time away from home before this, actually. Choate is very different; people are more mature here. Everyone at Choate wants to be here, whereas at public school, kids don’t have the same drive.

AK: Do you have any pre-game traditions that you follow every time?

GD: I have a handshake with my partner, Zoe. We do it every single time.

AK: Is there anything from the field that you can apply to your life?

GD: Yes, on the soccer field, you can’t cheat. Honesty applies to life in many different settings.

AK: Do you play any other sports? If yes, does soccer help you in your other sports?

GD: No. Soccer is life.

AK: Has soccer always been a passion of yours?

GD: No, ever since my parents forced me, it has been a passion of mine.

AK: Who is your soccer “role model”?

GD: Ali Krieger, a member of the U.S. women’s national team.

AK: Do you plan on playing soccer in college? If yes, beyond college?

GD: Yes, I would love to play in college, but I don’t think it will go beyond that.

AK: Do you have any tips for people just starting out in soccer?

GD: Be mentally strong and confident in what you do.

AK: What is your favorite animal, and why?

GD: My favorite animal is a giraffe because they are gentle, yet fierce and strong.

Gabby emanates an aura of positivity and determination, lifting her teammates up while pushing them forward. The Choate Girls’ Varsity Soccer team has only lost three games in the last two seasons, but even one loss is utterly unsatisfactory for this squad of driven winners. Dyrek’s ferocity and spirit, on the field and in the classroom, will likely be her greatest contributions to Choate and GVS this year.