New Arts Teacher, Mrs. Catherine Adams

artteacher

Joining the PMAC as a new arts teacher this term is Ms. Catherine Adams, who is teaching two sections of Drawing.

Adams attended Tyler School of Art at Temple University in Philadelphia, PA, and holds a BFA with a concentration in Metals and Jewelry. After she graduated from college, not only did she make costumes for theater productions and do makeup for stage performances, but she also served as an art gallery assistant, photographer’s assistant, and jewelry studio owner. However, according to Adams, “What I have confirmed as my favorite and most satisfying job is teaching.”

“My intention of teaching is for each of my students to recognize the development of their drawing skills through new methods, practice, and exploration. My hope is for this learning to occur without competition or pressure, but through the desire to see and make observations more accurately,” said Adams. She emphasized that she always tells her students that “drawing is the evidence of seeing, a record.” Choate students’ ability to adapt to her teaching style surprises her, and she feels thankful toward them.

Moreover, she noticed that “Choate students are bright and willing to experiment.” She appreciates the friendships she’s already formed with many students, and loves her new relationships with the other art teachers at Choate.

Adams encourages more students to join drawing classes in order to generate creativity and expression.