Chiocchio ’16 Captures the Moment

blue

Have you met Caitlin  Chiocchio ’16? If not, you may have met her work, which is often displayed in the PMAC gallery. Chiocchio, a three-year senior from Branford, Conn., is an exceptional Arts Concentration visual artist.

Ever since she was young, Chiocchio has been interested in art. “My mom is an artist,” she explained. “So I’ve been doing art ever since I can remember.” Chiocchio now specializes in oil painting and drawing. When asked how art has affected her life, Chiocchio said, “It’s a way to express myself.”

“Caitlin’s been passionate about art for a long time,” Grace Tully ’16, a friend, added, “I really admire her commitment.” Anika Zetterberg ’16, another artist, gushed, “She doesn’t do anything half-way. She will keep pushing a piece until it’s reached her level of expectation.”

In addition to pushing herself, Chiocchio helps other artists. “She’s always asking what I’m up to and gives me honest but kind critiques,” Zetterberg said. “She has been going around and talking to all the new Visual Arts Con kids as well, showing interest and support for their work.”

Despite her exceptional talent, Chiocchio maintains a down to earth nature and level head. “She never boasts or brags, and she is always accepting of suggestions and opinions.” Zetterberg added.

In her free time, Chiocchio enjoys hiking and travelling. “My favorite thing to do is combine my passion for travel and exploring with my passion for art,” she said. “Whether it be taking pictures or taking videos wherever I go.”

Tully said, “Caitlin is one of the most adventurous spelunkers I know, and I think her passion for exploration is reflected in her art.”

“Art is very rewarding,” Chiocchio said. “Capturing a moment is satisfying.” Despite the relative dearth of opportunities to display visual arts on campus as compared to other mediums, Chiocchio has been successful in sharing her work with others. She has had her artwork displayed in Hill House lobby, and shows off her “naturally artistic mind in her stellar Instagram aesthetic,” according to Tully.

Chiocchio, who will graduate this spring, is understandably excited for the future. “I’m going to have an art show at the end of the year,” she shared. “And I’m definitely thinking of art school for college.”

“She’s incredibly gifted in every art form I’ve seen her try,” Zetterberg concluded. “She personifies her art.”