Annett Ho ’18: New and Note-worthy

annet

Only three weeks into the school year, Annett Ho ’18 has already left her musical mark on the Choate Arts program. Ho, a new sophomore from Taipei, Taiwan, is a violinist with talent far beyond the normal high school student, an ability that is evident in her playing for the Choate Symphony Orchestra and Arts Concentration Orchestra.

Ho has always had a passion for music. At three years old, she began taking piano lessons after hearing her older sister play. When she was six, she was inspired by Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons” to learn how to play the violin. A year later, she started playing the flute.

When she was younger, Ho would often play in charity concerts. “I raised money for Save Thailand and the Children’s Heart Foundation,” she recalled, “and for several dog shelters.” This past summer, Ho went busking, or playing in the streets, with her violin. “It was really fun!” she shared. “I made $150.”

Although Ho first learned how to play the piano, her focus is now directed solely on the violin. At Choate, Ho is one of the principle violinists in the symphony orchestra. She also participates in the Arts Concentration chamber orchestra and a Mendelssohn trio.

“She’s a fine violinist,” Mr. Phil Ventre, conductor of the Choate Symphony Orchestra, said in regards to Ho. “She has a great deal of musical ability, instinct, and aptitude.” He added that Ho, who is also the concertmaster of the Choate orchestra, “plays with precision and is doing an outstanding job leading the orchestra.”

While other students may be playing sports, Ho spends much of her time after school practicing the violin. “It’s taught me a lot about time management,” she said. “It’s taught me to concentrate better. I’ve learned to set my goals straight and not to procrastinate, especially before competitions.” Ho also attends Julliard pre-college on the weekends. “On Fridays, I take the train to New York,” she explained, describing her weekly routine. “I get there, rehearse, take lessons, and then come back on Sundays.”

Although this can be admittedly stressful, especially on top of academic work, Ho sees music as a soothing endeavor. “Right now, I feel like music is an escape for me,” she said. “When I need to be alone, I can express my feelings through music.” Mr. Ventre agreed: “Music is a release, if you will, from the stress of doing academic work.” 

In Ho’s free time, she likes to play with her toy poodle and watch Thai dramas. She also enjoys shopping for clothes and going out with friends.

Ho is looking forward to several musical endeavors, such as competing in a concerto competition. Though she is not sure what she wants to do with her musical ability in the future, Mr. Ventre believes that she “could very easily become a concert violinist and play in a major symphony orchestra.” Though her future may take her to larger concert halls, for now the Choate community should look for Annett playing First Violin in the Choate Symphony Orchestra as well as in the Arts Concentration Orchestra – she’ll undoubtedly leave a lasting impression.